Saturday, February 8, 2014
Dates & Times
Check In For All Cars
Friday, February 7
Anytime between 6 - 9 pm.
We will have a scale there, as well as some tools to make minor adjustments.
Saturday, February 8
Pinewood Derby Rules
In order to keep the race fair for all, rules are developed by our local Tri River District. Before you begin to build, please the 2013 PWD Rules
with your son. Size and weight of the cars will be checked before cars are allowed to register/check in to ensure all are in compliance. Cars that do not meet rules will need to be modified to be compliant or will not be allowed to race.
- You have already seen the major change in that ALL cars will need to be checked in the night BEFORE the Derby on Friday. We were approached by another Cub Scout Pack in town who was interested in borrowing our track for their derby this year. We wanted to be able to help and so we've made a few changes that would allow the track to be shared this year.
- Our race will start at 9:00 AM on Saturday.
- We will have a few healthy choice mid-morning snacks available at no charge (nutrigrain bars, water, juice boxes, apples, raisins)
- Coffee (D&D) will be available to parents. We'll ask for a $1 donation just to cover the cost of the coffee.
Local places that can help your scout build his car
As you know, the boys are supposed to be the main builder and creator of their Pinewood Derby car. Parents will certainly need to lend support as necessary. As the boys get older, they should be doing more and more of the build on their own. However, not everyone has tools to cut and shape their cars and there is one local place that can help you with that (Lowe's used to, but they have discontinued their program).
Wooden Toys & Crafts is right next toTrombetta's in Marlboro (near the airport).
655 Farm Road, Marlborough, MA 01752-2763 508-485-6992
or email: email@example.com
Here, the scout will have to draw the design of his car (the top and side) and the man at the shop will cut the car out for him. Then the scout will sand the car and he can paint it there if he would like. The scout will still need to assemble and prepare the wheels at home.
Pinewood Derby Award Categories
Each year there are some unique and amazing cars that the boys bring to the derby. To recognize the effort that the boys make in the creation of these cars, we have the following award categories that will be judged and awarded on the day of the Derby. Please feel free to keep these in mind as you create your car. Have fun building and bonding with your scout!
- Most Colorful
- Best Use of Decals
- Most Unique
- Most Realistic Looking Car
- Best Use of Imagination
- Best Detail
- Most Futuristic
- Best Paint Job
- Most Original Design
- Best Workmanship
- Fastest Looking Car
- Most Unique Shape
- Sportiest Looking Car
- Most Patriotic
- Best Cub Scout Themed Car